Friday, September 9, 2011

Its beginning to Look alot like Christmas?

First Day of school!!!! "What" you ask. "On a friday?" Yup, while almost everyone I know has kidlets finishing their first week, my babes just started. Sad day for me. I Hate back to school :(

 So yesturday, I challanged myself to start working on Christmas projects now, and not leave them til the last possible minute. I also challanged myself to make some cards since I don't normally hand them out. And after 3 hours in my craft room last night I came to find some intresting things...

1. A bone folder/scoring tool are a must. I have neither :( made for a very frustrating evening. If I continue down this path I will NEED to invest in one or both of these tools. Probably both.
2. Measuring and cutting the paper to size is a bit of a pain. There has to be an easier way. Please someone tell me there's an easier way!!
3. If I go down this path....I will need more stamps. Stamps of all sorts, not just CTMH which is what I have. I need more sentiments. I need more holidays....I just need more stamps.
and 4. My cards, much like my LO's are very plan and simple. Even kinda boring.
So here is my first shot. Every product is CTMH, excpet the stickles at the top. I DO NOT like this card. At all. I think the only stuff worth saving is the tree and the white frame its on. I heat embossed the white using pearl silver, but for some reason it kinda came out pink. I'm probably going to take this one apart and try again.

Then I made these 2. I like these ALOT better, but they're just kinda missing something. I used glitter ritz on both of these. and the flowers on the second is cut at 4' and the bottom layer is lined in red stickles. The mistletoe in the 3rd is cut at 3' and used itty bitty buttons as the berries. I have started another, I hopefully I can finish it tonight and maybe post it tomorrow.

 I'll be out this weekend to find a shadow frame for the daycare parents gifts..so hopefully I can get those started soon too.

 Have a good friday folks and Happy Scrapping :)


7 comments:

  1. I love the middle one. I can't believe Christmas is just around the corner.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your cards all turned out cute! ( I tip my hat to you because i have NO patience for glitter ritz, especially THAT detailed - good job! )

    I know how you feel about Christmas being around the corner..I was setting up my store this afternoon for a friends all day crop tomorrow and her theme is Falling into Christmas...so I have Christmas paper to hand out..and it just feels WRONG in ths +32 weather!! HA!

    Have a fun weekend!!
    Kim
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie!

    Now I don't think your cards are boring at all! I love the color combos you picked and I have never used glitter ritz but it looks beautiful! Do you have a cutting board? I love mine, it's a Fiskars and it helps me out so much with measuring and cutting. I also just picked up the Martha Stewart score board and have been amazed at what I can do with that. And it comes with a bone folder and a little gadget that makes making envelopes a piece of cake. Hope you have a great weekend!

    Susan
    cricutandgrasshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards, Angie! Don't be so hard on yourself- I think you did well on your first try!! The one with the poinsettia is gorgeous. Love your sketch there. If you think something is missing, may I suggest layering a different colored cardstock under your patterned paper? And create a border? Or you can get bling or pearl accents to embellish. I don't always use a bone folder but it really is a useful tool. As for stamps, you can try craft stores when they have a sale and sometimes they'll even have a section with 99 cent stamps. Just build your collection slowly. Before I got my stamps, I would always cut out images from patterned paper. You just gotta be creative with what you have :). Good-luck on those shadow boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angie,
    I think you did a great job with your first try at cards!! I would also suggest the Martha Stewart Score Board. I also use card bases for making cards. It makes it easier for me and I save my cardstock and patterned paper for the design.

    Suggestion on the tree card, I love the paper the tree and the white frame. I would center the tree on the white frame and maybe add some ribbon and/or bling!!

    I would not change a thing about the flower card. It is beautiful. What is glitter ritz??

    I also love the holly card as well.

    Can't wait to see more!!

    Kathy
    http://3spoileddogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job with your cards. You second two cards a beautiful. If you don't like the first card as much try adding some ribbon or even ink the edges of your tag. What is glitter ritz? Thanks for stopping by and leaving me the nice comment on my gypsy card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job! I absolutely hated my first cards, but they were a mess. Your cards are beautiful! Yes I agree, a bone folder is a must have. i recommend the Martha Stewart bone folder, it's pink and it has a great shape that makes it easy to grip. I also recommend looking into Stampin Up's score board and getting the stylus that goes with it. It will make things much easier.
    Maribel

    ReplyDelete